Thursday, August 28, 2008

A Brighter Day!

Thank you everyone for your comments and emails of support it really has helped to lift my spirits. I will not lie, it has not been an easy road. So different compared to Addison's adoption trip. Jackson is very sweet, but he also has a nasty temper and is very confused at times to what is happening. Especially after seeing the orphanage staff three days in a row - agh! What must have been going through his little mind. Each day I see more love and less rage and anxiety. He is definitely feeling more secure and feeling better physically. The white oozing has stopped and the stitches are looking better and better.

First a little back story, so of you may know as I emailed you. In his belongings on gotcha day was a note from and young American woman, a teacher that fostered him on and off since the fall of last year. We were able to catch up with her during our visit to Wuxi. Her organization works with several orphanages throughout China visiting, playing with and fostering children. They even raise money for surgeries. So glad I was able to meet this important person in Jackson's life.

The orphanage visit was difficult because Jackson has just finished screaming for the better part of an hour when we pulled in so I was out of sorts. We had lunch, toured, saw some older children, toddlers, and babies (sorry no photos allowed), and met with various officials. I tried so eel at lunch, pretty tasty, also bitter melon, the "famous" Wuxi ribs, and prawns. It was a difficult day, Jackson looked around when we got there and nestled in and wouldn't let me go. I did manage to get a quick shot with him and his nannies.

I stayed on in Wuxi and the group headed back - had dinner at TGIFridays (some good ole' American fare) and the his foster mom and her friend helped me take the bullet train back to Nanjing - so much faster than the 3 hour van ride. At this point though Jackson was melting down every hour or so - totally miserable, but I knew the train would be better than the bus.

Thursday - we stayed in and Dr. Gong prescribed some medicine for Jackson's mouth and helped me iron out a diet that would be better on his stomach. So hard when you're living at a hotel. Last night we ordered Pizza Hut and all hung out in the Stephen's suite - a very nice night in. Jackson loved watching the Kern kids play soccer and even got a few kicks in himself.

Today- Far fewer meltdowns, although he didn't sleep to great. I think we had a major break through this morning. He will just pitch a fit wherever, hit, scratching, kicking, squirming, through himself on the floor (even backwards). I put a blanket on the floor and let him get angry, I kept offering myself to him over and over and finally he came to me on his own terms. Things have been better since then. I think he was a favorite and the orphanage and of course with his foster mom because he really know how to work it to get what he wants. I am head to toe bruises as proof. I don't blame him one bit, given what he has been through in the last 19 months. He had to do something to get attention and this worked for him. Another sweet little girl in our group is a hitter/biter all coping mechanisms of orphanage life - in time these will get better.

For lunch we ate at a fabulous German restaurant, I know German food in China. It was so good. Perhaps we are all homesick for something other than Chinese food, which is actually pretty varied. I had meatloaf with mushroom sauce, roasted potatoes, a caffe latte, and Jackson and I split a chocolate sundae - MMMM! For you XingFu families coming to the Nanjing Grand you MUST eat at the German place across the street.

OK, must pack. We leave for Guangzhou in the morning. Kimberly P. have an awesome trip picking up Tian Li. Addie and Daddy have a safe trip up north. I miss you all and will be home in 6 Days!!!!

Here are some pictures:

Entrance hall of Wuxi SWI

Foster Mom

All of us together!

One of Jackson's nannies

Lunch

Visiting my foster Mom's classroom

Lounging around

Being silly

More silliness

Self portrait

14 comments:

Goosegirl said...

Tracy, I continue to pray for you all. I pray the outbursts get fewer and further between. It is a really hard thing to be beat up by your child. I know and I really feel for you. It DOES get better. I am glad you got to spend some time with the foster mom. She sounds like a wonderful person. But you are MOM and Jackson will learn that soon.

In His Grace,
Sivje

Unknown said...

Tracy!
What a blessing you got to spend time with Jackson's foster mom! Wow, I have so enjoyed following your journey. I'm glad Jackson is feeling better. Congratulations!
Elaine (Homeland mom waiting for Ren at Wuxi)

Anonymous said...

It sounds like a better day indeed.I,m sure that Jackson will soon realize that he,s yours for keeps.You,re doing a tough job on your own and things will get better.Give little Jackson all of Nana and Pappas love.We miss you TRacy and we will take good care of Addie this week.Love ya,Dad.

Anonymous said...

Sounds like it is improving. Just keep loving him up & I am sure it will get much better once he realizes you are there forever. Miss you & love you. Keep smiling you will be home soon.
Love,
Lisa

Kimberly said...

Tracy - I am so happy to read that today is better. I wont be able to read you next update until Sunday/China time! We leave in an hour - whoo hooo!!

He is an absolute gem - look at his cute cute face. I'm glad he is feeling better!!

Kimberly

shelley said...

Glad to know things are getting better everyday. I have received several emails from a woman who volunteers at the orphanage on Sat. She has given me some insight to our beautiful boy. Have a great rest of the trip.

Anonymous said...

What an amazing smile he has and by the sound of things it certainly seems like he already knows who his mommy is. Keep your chin up...you're almost HOME!
Sharon

Kellyann said...

What a sweetie! I'm glad to hear overall things are going well. Enjoy the special time with your son!
~Kellyann, mom to a SN boy from China and a future Xingfu mom!

Anonymous said...

Oh I am so glad you had a better day! We are thinking of you this entire trip - You'll be home before long.
Looking forward to seeing you both.
Jennifer Gould

Stacy said...

It is so amazing to watch all these little ones cope in such different ways to all these big changes. Brie would totally shut-down on us when we were in China. The defiance and tantrums didn't start until we got home. So, hopefully your little man will get all his angst out while you're still in China. I hope that watching you with Addie will teach him about Mamma and Family, the way it did with our Ady.
I am glad to hear he is feeling better, and you be sure to tend to those bruises, ugh.
Thinking of all you brave Mammas!
Hugs from New York

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Jackson is beautiful. Will keep you in my prayers for a smooth remainder of your trip. Xingfu Mom of Cole, Cathy Bradlee

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful opportunity to meeet and spend some time with Jackson's foster person. I hope she gave you a few insights and tips into his personality and what works for him discipline wise. Those little ones do like to test you and see what you're made of, don't they? Not to mention he's a bit confused as to what's going on exactly. I'm glad to hear he's feeling better. Hang in there and keep smiling-not always easy:) love Heather

Anonymous said...

Hang in there! Glad to read you aren't letting his meltdowns bring you down too much. Phoebe didn't want much from me in China but a year later she is my little cuddle bug. It really does improve with time and patience.

Have a good time in Guangzhou!

Elaine M. (CDS)

M said...

So glad to hear he's doing a little better! I can't imagine how hard it would have been to have traveled alone to pick up FF! You're doing great! And he's so adorable!